We have arrived for our second field service in Guinea, and by the first day of surgery, there will be 27 Canadians serving on board! The advance team has done a great job of making connections and opening doors. We are sure to have another amazing field service – thanks to our crew and donors.
Our corporate partner, Olive the Senses has created some amazing recipes-based on traditional foods from Guinea. Think of ways you can best use them to raise awareness and support for Mercy Ships.
- Host a dinner to celebrate the arrival of the ship in Guinea-focus on monthly pledges for our work there.
- Organize a speaking event at your church with appies, lunch or dinner featuring the recipes from Guinea.
- Have the meal “by donation” to Mercy Ships, or organize a church collection after your presentation.
- Host an intimate dinner with your supporters.
- Feature the recipes and take this time to let them know how much their support meant to you- and to our patients and families.
- Most of all-ENJOY!
Don’t forget to share your photos using #OliveGuinea on Instagram and Twitter and tag @mercyshipsca
2 cups hibiscus flowers
1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored
6 whole cloves
1″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1/2 cup spiced rum
1/2 tbsp Angostura Bitters
1 cup sparkling water
Step 1 – Rinse dried hibiscus flowers under cool water and strain away water.
Step 2 – Add to a large saucepan rinsed hibiscus flowers, fresh pineapple (5-6 rings of canned pineapple will do), cloves and fresh ginger. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes, the reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar and stir for 2 minutes to dissolve. Taste for sweetness (to taste) and remove from heat to cool for 30 minutes.
Step 3 – Set a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour zobo mixture through strainer. Press down on remaining solids to extract all juice and discard solids.
Step 4 – Pour zobo into a large pitcher and fill halfway with ice. Add in lime juice, Triple Sec and rum and stir to combine. Top up with sparkling water and serve with wedges of lime and pineapple slices.